Muscat – His Majesty Sultan Haitham bin Tarik received a telephone call from Keir Starmer, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, on Sunday.
During the call, they discussed the latest developments in the region and their implications for security and stability, particularly following the conclusion of negotiations held in Pakistan without reaching an agreement, and what this necessitates in terms of intensifying international efforts to prevent further escalation of tensions.
The two sides exchanged views on ways to contain escalation and address the root causes of the crisis in a manner that strengthens stability and safeguards the interests of the region’s countries.
They affirmed the importance of continued international coordination and support for efforts aimed at de-escalation and the pursuit of peaceful and diplomatic solutions, grounded in the principles of international law.
Reflecting on international efforts to coordinate safe passage of ships in the region, Starmer said that following meetings convened by the UK Foreign Secretary and British military planners, partners continue to work towards restoring freedom of navigation for the long term.
Starmer had travelled to the Gulf last week, meeting leaders from Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Bahrain and Qatar. These focused on diplomatic efforts to support and uphold the US-Iran ceasefire in order to bring about a lasting resolution to the conflict and protect the global economy from further threats.
Taking to X, Foreign Minister Sayyid Badr Al Busaidi said, “When I met Vice President J D Vance just hours before the war began, I formed an impression that both he and the President had a genuine and strong preference to avoid the entanglements of war. So, I urge that the ceasefire be extended and talks continue. Success may require everyone to make painful concessions, but this is nothing as compared to the pain of failure and war.”
© 2021 Apex Press and Publishing. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Mesdac