Located in Sohar Freezone, Oman antimony roaster is being developed by Strategic and Precious Metal Processing LCC (SPMP), where Tri Star Resources has a 40 per cent stake. The remaining 60 per cent is held by Oman Investment Fund and DNR Industries, a part of Dubai-based Dutco Group.
‘Plant construction is now 97 per cent complete, main grid power is connected and cold commissioning is well underway. Hot commissioning commences later this month leading to the production of antimony trioxide followed by the production of antimony and gold ingot later this summer’, Tri Star Resources said in statement posted on its website.
The SPMP facility is one of the first modern designed and environmentally permitted minor metal roaster to be built outside China in the last 30 years.
Tri-Star Resources said, ‘Under full operating conditions, the plant will produce around 20,000 tonnes per annum of antimony products (close to ten per cent of annual global consumption) supplemented by around 60,000 ounces per annum of gold’.
The London-based company said, the project has also achieved another milestone in first quarter of 2018, that is the development of valuable relationships with international feedstock and other raw material suppliers.
As concentrate supply contracts are being negotiated, the transport and logistics processes and costs can be better determined and SPMP’s working capital requirements are becoming clearer. In addition, SPMP, being a well-established Omani company, has enjoyed excellent relationships with its Omani bankers during the last 18 months, Tri-Star Resources said in the statement.
The statement said after achieving commencement of operation successfully, SPMP management anticipates further upstream opportunities and initiatives to improve downstream economics through the delivery of engineered antimony products to its customers. ‘The plant is expected to gradually ramp up to full operating capacity during 2018 and 2019 as the commissioning process is completed and additional feedstock supplies are secured’, it added.