Strategic plan in place for vaccination programme in all governorates in accordance with preventive measures
A call to expedite vaccination for everyone has been heeded by the Ministry of Health (MoH) as it announced on Tuesday the expansion of target groups to include everyone over 18 years in the National Immunisation Campaign against COVID-19.
Immunisation of the new target group will start on Sunday. A statement issued by MoH said, ‘The ministry calls on the target group in all governorates to book appointments through the Tarassud + app or through http://covid19.moh. gov.om before heading to the approved government centres for immunisation in order to ensure a safe and accessible process for all.’
The ministry confirmed that 854,274 individuals have been vaccinated against COVID-19 since the beginning of the National Immunisation Campaign in December 2020. ‘With this, 24 per cent of the target population has been vaccinated. Of the total, 643,744 have got the first dose, comprising 75 per cent of the people immunised, while 210,530 have taken both doses.’
In an interview with Oman TV on Tuesday, H E Dr Ahmed al Sa’eedi, Minister of Health, said, “Unfortunately, gatherings continue and the number of COVID-19 patients is increasing. Vaccination is not the only solution; it is one of the solutions.
“The whole world is suffering from this pandemic. I appeal to all to adhere to the precautionary measures to protect themselves and their families. I urge people to avoid social gatherings, such as weddings and funerals, to support the health sector. If the community does not adhere to the precautionary measures, the number ofcases will increase.”
H E Dr Sa’eedi informed that the ministry had less than 180 intensive care unit beds, “but with COVID-19, there are more than 500 patients in ICUs. There are other patients, too, who need intensive care, such as road accident victims”.
Citizens welcomed the decision to include the 18+ age group in the immunisation campaign on social media. Abu Walaa said the decision was necessary to protect all segments of society.
Among the flurry of activity on Twitter was citizen Ahmed’s comment describing it as the “correct step to open immunisation to everyone, while spreading awareness among those hesitating to get vaccinated”.
The number of active COVID-19 cases has crossed 30,000 amid a mounting challenge to control the spread of the disease that has killed 3,056 in Oman. The Ministry of Health (MoH) reported 2,234 new cases on Tuesday – one of the highest single-day case counts.
Forty-three people died on Tuesday, making it the second highest single-day death toll.
According to MoH data, there are 30,193 active cases of COVID-19 currently in Oman. Of the total number of registered cases so far – 266,536 – 233,287 individuals have recovered, while 3,056 lost their lives to the virus.
The number of admissions in hospitals and ICUs is also increasing significantly. As of Tuesday, there were 1,613 inpatients, including 525 in ICUs, following 181 new hospitalisations in a 24-hour period.