The uncertainty hanging over the future of 1,718 Grade 12 students of Indian schools in Oman has come to rest with the Indian government on Tuesday announcing the cancellation of Class 12 exams this year.
The Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi chaired a review meeting regarding the exams of the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) on Tuesday. Officials gave a detailed presentation on the wide and extensive consultation held so far and views received from all stakeholders, including state governments.
‘In view of the uncertain conditions due to COVID-19 and the feedback obtained from various stakeholders, it was decided that Grade 12 Board Exams will not be held this year. It was also decided that CBSE will take steps to compile the results of Grade 12 students as per a well-defined objective criteria in a time-bound manner,’ a press statement from the Indian government said.
Prime Minister Modi said that the decision on the Grade 12 CBSE Board Exams has been taken in the interest of students. He stated that COVID-19 has affected the academic calendar and the issue of Board Exams has been causing immense anxiety among students, parents and teachers, which must be put to an end.
Prime Minister Modi said that the COVID-19 situation is a dynamic one across the country. “While the numbers are coming down in the country and some states are managing the situation through effective micro-containment, some states have still opted for a lockdown. Students, parents and teachers are naturally worried about the health of students in such a situation.”
He directed officials to ensure that the results are prepared in accordance to well-defined criteria, in a fair and time-bound manner. It was also decided that like last year, in case some students desire to take the exam, such an option would be provided to them by CBSE, as and when the situation becomes conducive.
© 2021 Apex Press and Publishing. All Rights Reserved.