Friday, September 17
02:17 AM

2,249 new COVID-19 cases, 11 deaths

28 Mar 2021

The Ministry of Health (MoH) on Sunday announced 2,249 new cases of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in the last three days, taking the total number of infections to 156,087 in the sultanate. 

The number of deaths during the same period has been reported to be 11, while the number of those who have recovered also increased by 1,654. 

‘The number of recoveries has increased to 142,420, while the number of deaths has reached 1,661,’ an MoH statement said, adding that the rate of recovery now stands at 91 per cent.

As of Sunday, a total of 466 patients were admitted in health institutions, including 145 in intensive care units (ICUs).

Only basic services at primary healthcare centres 

Given the sudden change in the scenario, MoH held a meeting on Sunday to discuss the epidemiological situation updates and the surge in COVID-19 cases as well as cases of hospital admissions particularly in ICUs.

Presided over by H E Dr Ahmed bin Mohamed al Sa’eedi, Minister of Health, the meeting reviewed challenges and their possible solutions during the current phase of pandemic that requires pooling of health sector resources to take care of the increasing number of COVID-19 patients.

It was decided that only basic services at primary healthcare centres and specialised care units will be provided, in addition to returning to the plan that was adopted during the peak of the pandemic last year.

The ministry calls on everyone to understand the importance of measures taken and cooperate with the health sector, while strictly adhering to preventive measures such as wearing masks, physical distancing and maintaining hand hygiene.

Muscat Municipality closes service centre 

Following the spike in the number of infections, Muscat Municipality in Seeb has stopped receiving customers and cancelled all appointments at the service centre for a period of two weeks.

‘Muscat Municipality in Seeb draws the attention of the public to a halt in receiving customers and cancellation of appointments at the Customer Service Centre, starting today, Sunday, March 28, for a period of two weeks. Transactions can be cleared electronically,’ it said in a statement.

 

© 2021 Apex Press and Publishing. All Rights Reserved.