The Ministry of Health (MoH) on Sunday starts the COVID-19 vaccination drive for the new target group – those above 65 years of age – who will be given the shots at the previously assigned clinics.
The ministry noted that the vaccine will be given to the target group regardless of whether they have a medical condition or not. The previous target group within the community included only those with medical conditions.
‘The campaign will target the elderly in all governorates of the sultanate, irrespective of whether they are healthy or not. The vaccine will be given at designated vaccination centres across the country and the two-dose vaccine will be given at an interval of four weeks,’ MoH said.
The vaccine will be administered at around 40 centres across Oman.
During an earlier press briefing, H E Dr Ahmed bin Mohammed al Sa’eedi, Minister of Health, said there is no law that compels anyone to take any vaccination other than the inoculations for infants and kids.
“The decision to take the vaccine is the discretion of each individual,” he said.
The ministry stated that those who have already taken the Pfizer/BionTech in the first phase, when the inoculation campaign kicked off, are not covered by this vaccine campaign and that those who are yet to take their second shot will be informed by healthcare officials.
On January 30, MoH received a total of 100,000 doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine from India.