More than one million patients in countries of the Eastern Mediterranean Region have successfully recovered from COVID-19 since the first case was reported on January 29. In Oman, more than 45,000 people who tested positive for the disease have recovered, taking the rate of recovery to 66 per cent.
“This is a welcome and significantly positive milestone, and reflects the efforts made by countries to protect their populations during these very challenging times,” said Dr Ahmed al Mandhari, WHO Regional Director for the Eastern Mediterranean.
“Individuals also play a key role by being properly informed, taking appropriate measures to protect themselves and their families, recognising symptoms when they occur, and seeking medical support immediately, before their condition becomes critical. All of this contributes to effective containment and unnecessary loss of life,” he added.
The Ministry of Health’s Tarassud app, which provides updates on the COVID-19 situation in Oman and the world, reveals that in Oman, out of the total 68,400 people who have tested positive, 45,150 have recovered so far. Active cases in Oman stands at 22,924 while as many as 326 people have lost their lives due to the disease.
According to WHO, successful treatment of patients requires timely diagnosis and health system capacity to provide treatment and also protect healthcare workers and provide sufficient medical supplies. From its regional logistics hub in Dubai, WHO has, so far, delivered personal protective equipment, including almost 7.5 million surgical masks and 125,000 respirators for healthcare workers, to all countries in the region.
Efforts are also under way to identify effective treatments and develop vaccines for COVID-19 in order to save more lives.
WHO is currently tracking more than 1,700 clinical trials globally that are investigating nearly 200 therapeutic options or their combinations. There are also 23 candidate vaccines undergoing clinical evaluation, while another 140 candidate vaccines are in pre-clinical evaluation.
“Countries in the region are fully committed to containing transmission and saving lives. Despite the increasing numbers of cases reported, there are proven measures that work. Strong government leadership and informed communities are essential to controlling disease spread and also promoting recovery of patients. By now, we all know what needs to be done to turn around the course of this pandemic. As research for vaccines and treatment continues, this landmark milestone of one million recovered cases in our region should give us all even more determination and drive to succeed,” said Dr Mandhari.
Muscat continues to be the most affected governorate in the sultanate with 37,022 cases, so far, and Seeb being the most impacted wilayat in the country with 13,832 infections. Outside Muscat, North Batinah has the highest number of cases in the country – 10,195, followed by South Batinah – 7,642.