Tuesday, June 18
01:09 PM

1,780 cancer cases in Omanis

2 Dec 2019

Muscat – The number of cancer cases among Omanis reached 1,780, according to the Cancer Incidence in Oman Report 2016. 

The number of cases among males reached 826 (46.4 per cent) while the remaining 954 (53.6 per cent) cases comprised females. The number of recorded cancer cases among Omani children aged 14 years and under was about 125 (seven per cent). 

The Directorate General of Primary Health Care of the Ministry of Health, represented by the Non-Communicable Diseases Department and in cooperation with the National Oncology Center released the Cancer Incidence in Oman Report 2016. 

According to the report, breast cancer is the most common cancer among females, followed by thyroid cancer, and colorectal cancer. ‘Prostate, colorectal cancer and liver cancer are the most common cancer types among males,’ it stated.  

The report indicated that the number of recorded tumour cases in 2016 reached 2,015 including 1,780 (88.3 per cent) among Omanis, while 215 (10.7 per cent) cases comprised expatriates and 15 (0.7 per cent) cases of carcinoma in situ among Omanis. 

© 2021 Apex Press and Publishing. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Mesdac